Wednesday, December 2, 2009

DIY Project Report #3

Still ironing out a few bugs with the new system although overall I'm quite pleased with its performance.

One issue that I've wrestled with is finding a quality file backup application that's free and
easy to use. I started with Comodo Backup but was unable to get file synchronization to to run correctly. The issue may be Windows 7 (or not) but I was more interested in backing up my files than in troubleshooting the application. That being said, Comodo is free and many have great success with it - so it's worth a shot.

Instead I chose Areca Backup, an open source backup application. It's very easy to use and performs as advertised.


Areca Backup can email reports to you
after scheduled backups have run.


They haven't certified it for Windows 7 yet, but I haven't had any problems with it. There's also a helpful online tutorial.

No comments: